November 24, 2009

Tribute to Bailey

Last night was a rough evening. M and I had plans to put up our Christmas decorations, work out and generally lounge around the house. However, when M arrived home for work - he had sad news to tell me. Sometime yesterday morning, Bailey - our 1.5 year old pup - dug out from the backyard and had gotten run over. My sister-in-law Lane discovered him when she came home from lunch. Her pup, Boss, was standing guard over Bailey's body.

After having a very lenghty cry, M and I set out to bury our beloved boy. We chose a spot in the woods next to our house where Bailey would often chase rabbits, squirrels, and the occasional stray cat. We made sure to bury him with his favorite toys - a tennis ball, a vinyl chew bone, his blue rubber squeaky ball, and his tug ring. We stood over his grave.....cried a little more....and then said our final good bye.

M and I rescued Bailey from an animal shelter on the Friday before Mother's Day in 2008. My friends often joked that Bailey was my "redneck engagement ring" as M bought him for me after just two months of dating. From the moment we brought him home, Bailey was full of life and energy. He loved to run and play - fetching tennis balls with M, or running in our yard with our myriad of nieces of nephews. Not only was he vibrant, he was loving. He would patiently let our nieces/nephews pull his tail, his ears, poke and prod him, and cover him in sloppy baby kisses. And if M or I ever felt under the weather, Bailey would take up his spot on our couch to watch over us.

He was a wonderful dog.....our first child.....and he will be missed.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm crying for you - I'm so sorry!!! {{{Hugs}}}

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry! I understand the pain of losing a pet; they are like family members.

Kathie Brinkman said...

Oh, Kimberly, I am so sorry! How terribly sad. These little creatures God creates and brings into our lives are such a reflection of His unconditional love. So, so, sorry. I'll keep you all in my prayers. Perhaps Bailey has now met my Othello in front of the Rainbow Bridge?
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

MB said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. May Bailey rest in peace.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. That's very sad, and it makes me very angry at the person who hit him. I know you will miss him so much.

Amy Jo said...

Ohhhh...I'm crying too! I am so terribly sorry to hear about your loss. I am an animal lover and have experienced this pain myself. May Bailey rest in peace!

Hyacynth said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your pup. I'm sure you two are heartbroken. I surely like to think that all dogs go to heaven. I still miss some of my dogs who have been gone for a long time.