December 26, 2012

Dear Joycie: Christmas 2012

Dear Joycie,

As I sit here in the quiet of the early morning, my heart is full - swelled up with love for you, your Daddy, for the life that we share...full of the precious memories that were made yesterday. Memories, I hope to remember even when my hair is gray, my face is wrinkled, and I am bouncing great-grandbabies on my knee.

And they are memories that I want to share with you.

And so I'll write you this letter - in an non-traditional way. 

And someday when you are older, I share it with you.

Joycie, my sweet girl, Christmas 2012 started with a phone call from Nana Becki. It was 9:20 - and you were still sleeping, snuggled in Mama and Daddy's bed.  After a little coaxing, a few tickles, and some kisses, you woke up and headed into the living room to discover the treasure that Santa left for you.

You ooo'd and aah'd over the dress up clothes that Santa had put into the dress up closet that Daddy built for you.  You hugged the Dora and Boots doll, and you swiped a few bites of the chocolate bars left in your stocking.

Then you quickly jumped up, ran into your bedroom, picked up the baby Jesus from your Little People Nativity scene, and said "Happy Birthday Jesus!"

And Mama's Christmas was made in that single moment.

Throughout the day, when people would ask you what Santa bought - you'd proudly proclaim "Chocolate bars".  Guess you got my sweet tooth after all?

And you were quick to tell them that Daddy had built you a dress up closet. 

You must have loved your dress up clothes - as you wore 1 outfit to breakfast at Aunt Lane's, another to Nana Becki's, and a 3rd to Nana Nancy's.  You carefully put them all away last night, making sure everything was just so.

After a busy day of running from place to place, you, Daddy, and I came home - snuggled on the couch and watched movies for the remainder of the evening.  Then we all piled into our bed.

And as I listened to you and your Daddy breathing in unison, my heart swelled once again. And I thanked Jesus for the best gifts I'd EVER gotten - you and your Daddy.

Merry Christmas, Joycie!

Love,

Mama

No comments: