April 13, 2010

Another Endeavor

I have been an advocate of healthy living and developing a positive body image ever since I began working towards overcoming my eating disorder. Some of my friends joked that my pursuit of a healthy lifestyle was my “great passion”. When I found out I was preganant, I was determined to continue my healthy habits not falling victim to the “I am eating for two” mentality. I was successful in my goal. However, my “great passion” took on even more urgency when I found out that M and I would be welcoming home a baby girl.

I know first hand the images that our society thrusts at young girls. Images that teach too many of them that the beauty ideal is super skinny – not healthy, not strong – just skinny. I spent many hours discussing with M, planning out the ways we would teach Joycelen that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. And over and over again, I realized that the best way to teach my daughter to love her body is to model the behavior for her.

Therefore, I am recommitting myself to a healthy lifestyle. And to document my journey, I have created a new blog . Won’t you join me?

** Not to worry, I will still be posting here. After all, I know you are all dying for more cute baby pictures

No comments: