April 20, 2010

She likes me, She really likes me

Joycelen has been smiling since she was 3 weeks old. However, those smiles have been reserved for sleeping, her silly cousins, and occasional for Daddy or Nana. Up to this point, my baby girl has not smiled at me. That all changed yesterday afternoon.

Around 6:00 p.m., I picked Joycelen up from my parents house (Side note: I am so blessed to have retired parents who are more than willing to act as babysitters so that Joycelen does not have to daycare until she is a bit older). My Mama told me that it had been nearly 3 hours since her last feeding. I knew that my window for getting a few chores done around the house was rapidly closing, so I made a beeline for home.

Upon arrival, Joycelen’s eyes popped open and she began to stir. I looked at the overflowing laundry basket – full of clothes that needed to be folded – and got creative. I placed Joycelen into her carrier, set the carrier onto the kitchen table, and began singnig and dancing around the kitchen while I folded the laundry. Not only did my antics keep her from crying, but she got the biggest grin on her face. Her smile literally took my breath away.

That gummy smile made me feel more accomplished than any of my degrees or life achievements. And I know it is the first of many smiles to come.

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

Awwww...how sweet!