November 18, 2010

Bigger Picture Moment: Hold her close, let her go

Joycelen has always been a happy and content baby. While most newborns take a few months to settle into a sleeping pattern, our Joycie was snoozing all night long at 2 weeks old (a fact that I am grateful for each and every day). When she turned 6 months, friends/family/coworkers began to warn me that she would soon suffer from stranger and separation anxiety. Not our girl – two weeks after turning 6 months, she practially leapt into the arms of the security guard at my Alma Mater’s football game. And when I drop her off with my Mama each morning, no tears are shed.

But last Thursday evening, Joycie was anything but happy and content. When I got home from work, I sat her down on her play mat, surrounded her with her favorite toys – and went to change out of my business suit. As soon as her tiny butt hit the floor, she burst into tears. I picked her up, checked her diaper, dried the tiny tear trickling down her cheek, and once again sat her down. More tears – more crying…..I picked her up again. For the next hour, my darling girl would scream if I even attempted to put her out of my arms.

Concerned at her behavior, I went thru the Mama checklist – she had a clean diaper, it was not time to eat, not time for her evening nap, and she was not in physical distress or sick. Then the realization dawned, my girl just wanted her Mama’s undivided attention. And I happily complied.

Lesson learned: Sometimes, as a Mama, you have to set everything else aside and just focus on your child in that single moment. .

Last night, I noticed that Joycie’s eyes were getting heavy. M was working in the home office which is close to her room. Worried that he would keep her awake, I took her into our room – thinking that we could snuggle our way into dreamland. For 45 minutes, Joycie kicked, tossed, turned, pinched my nose, shoved fingers in my mouth, pulled my hair – did everything under the sun…but sleep. Finally, I decided to lay her down in her crib. I had barely pulled up the covers when I heard the first snore.

Lesson learned: Sometimes, as a Mama, you have to learn to let go of your child and allow her to do things on her own. .

Those two lessons were my bigger picture moments for the week. I would love to hear about yours, so please link up with Sarah .

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are so right in both of those situations. Sometimes they just want us to hold them and then others they want to be independent. It is so hard to decide which to do as a mom!

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

So true!

Unknown said...

They are their own little people and definitely let us know it! Abby does the same things to me too.

Alita said...

They teach us so much don't they!

Melissa Haak said...

Such good lessons! They hold true when they are 3 and 5 too! Thanks for sharing with us!

Hyacynth said...

Oh my goodness -- through the night at TWO WEEKS?! Miracles, I tell you, miracles. :)

Wonderful BPB moments this week. We are crave that undivided attention, I think. Babies are no different, right?

Kari said...

That's sweet that although she is bold and outgoing, she still clearly is crazy about you.

Hope that you and your family had a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving!

Hyacynth said...

Kim, can we feature this BPM on the Wordpress site today? Let me know as soon as possible! hyacynthworth{at}yahoo{dot}com. Thanks!