March 09, 2010

Joycelen's First Days at Home

Joycelen will be four days old in a few hours - and it seems as though she has been a part of our lives already. In my last post, I gave you a recap of Joycelen's birth story. I promised another post and pictures -- but the activity that is required with a newborn coupled with the fact that I am recovering from major surgery has left me little time to blog. However, this morning I have a few stolen moments that I can use to bring you up to speed on the happenings in our new family of 3.

  • We were discharged from the hospital on Sunday, March 6th around 2 p.m. Joycelen was treated as a VIP having the head charge nurse (and most senior employee) of the hospital serve as her escort.
  • Once discharged, M and I took Joycelen to my parents house where she could meet her cousins Trevor, Trenton, and Kaitlyn. The boys were standing at the door waiting for us - and sprinted to our truck when we pulled up. Trevor (the oldest) looked at Joycelen and proclaimed "I love her already." Trenton kissed her but was more focused on the fact that I was not pregnant - he kept saying "Kimbo, no more tummy, no more tummy". Kaitlynn's reacation was a little more subdued - but for a 5 month old that's to be expected - but she did smile at Joycelen - so I have a feeling they are going to be great friends.
  • The boys have taken to calling Joycelen...."Uncle Mikey's Baby"......
  • After visiting with my parents, we went to M's parents to check in with them and to eat some leftovers. M's brother, sister-in-law, and two nieces joined us. The girls (Lacey and London) nearly came to blows over who would get to hold her first. In the end they did it together, and have regularly been showering her with kisses.
  • Following all the visits, M and I made it home. It was a special moment carrying in our daughter. Suddenly, our home felt a little more special.
  • We took Joycelen to Sunday night services at church where everyone marveled at her, how much she looked like her Daddy, and the fact that I was recovering so quickly.
  • M went back to work yesterday, which was hard for both of us. But thankfully, my Mama has agreed to come stay with me during the day. She has been a HUGE blessing - not only keeping me company, helping with Joycelen, but she has also taken on most of my household chores. She had my floors swept and mopped within 15 minutes of arriving.
  • Since I was feeling so good yesterday, I convinced my Mama to go shopping - we went to Walmart for a few items, met M for lunch (He wanted to see Joycelen and I think she was missing him), and then walked the mall before heading home.
  • My high level of activity yesterday has left me worn down today. Last night, my feet were severely swollen, I had huge bags under my eyes, and I was a total watering pot - crying about the littlest thing. M took charge and ordered me to remain in bed for most of the morning today, and to spend most of my afternoon either on the couch or in the recliner. He has already called my Mama this morning to make sure I'm following orders. It may seem a bit silly but it shows that he cares, and he knows that if he didn't take a stand - I'd probably keep pushing myself to far, to soon.

That's all that's happening in our world. I will post again tonight with some new pictures of Joycelen!


Kathie Brinkman said...

Wow! You are exceedingly active after having a section. Glad M is taking good care of you. Make sure you get your rest. So glad that you are home with your new little one. Look for a package from me withing a week or so. blessings.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that she has arrived! I am sad that I missed all of your excitement on Thursday on the blog world!