March 21, 2011

Happy Anniversary Mikey!

 

A little over 3 years ago, I moved back to this tiny town that we call home. My intention was to stay for a few weeks – maybe a few months – just until I got my feet underneath me again.  After all, I was coming home to nurse a broken heart…. I thought I was running away from the pain of the break up, but I was really running straight into my future.

That future was you, Mikey. Little did I know, that the playful banter we exchanged at your parent’s Super Bowl party was just the beginning of something life changing.

I still remember the butterflies I felt while I waited for you to pick me up for the church Valentine’s Day supper.  I thought it was illogical to be nervous. After all the only reason you were taking me was because our lovely sister-in-law Lane was making you. If the butterflies were bad before you picked me up, they were ever worse once you arrived. But you calmed me – with you jokes, you questions about my life, and the wonderful conversation we shared. I did not realize it at that moment, but looking back I can clearly see, that is the moment I fell in love with you.

One year later, I walked down the aisle clinging to my Daddy’s arms, once again fighting butterflies. Then I saw you in your tux grinning that sly grin you always have. And once again, you calmed me.  As we stood before our family and friends and pledged our lives to one another, I thought that I could never love you more.

I was wrong.

Three months later, we were taking a pregnancy test on hot July afternoon. We were so certain that it would be negative. The timing for pregnancy was wrong, we were still newlyweds not ready to be parents. But there was no denying what the test said. And when I lost it – alternating between hysterical laughter and gut wrenching tears – you held me, you calmed me.  And when the shock wore off, and we prepared for parenthood, I fell deeper in love with you. And again, I though that I could never love you more.

Wrong again.

9 months later, we welcomed Miss Joycelen into our lives. The image of you holding our daughter for the first time is forever etched in my mind. Even in my drugged haze, I could see that you were already deeply in love with her – and once again my heart swelled with love for you.

Over the last year, I have watched you as a father. And each of the moments that I have witnessed have strengthened my love for you.  There is an oldies song that has the words “I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow.”  That’s us babe.

You are my best friend, my confidant, an wonderful father. You are the person who calms my fears, reassures me when I doubt myself, encourages me to pursue my dreams. You are the man that I love with everything that I am.

I am so blessed to have shared two years of marriage with you and I look forward to a lifetime together.

I love you!

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

Happy Anniversary!!