March 05, 2011

Happy Birthday Joycie !

DSC_0286

Joycelen,

For 365 days, I knew this moment would come…the moment when you would celebrate your first year of life. The moment when I would sit down and try to find the words to capture all the emotions that the last year has encapsulated. And even with all of the forethought, the planning, the preparing, this milestone has taken me by surprise. I catch myself looking for the sleepy infant that I brought home from the hospital – instead I find myself looking into the face of a toddler. And while the tinest part of my heart misses the newborn you, I would not trade one moment of the last year for anything.

Nearly from the moment of your birth, you made it known that a) you did things on your own time table and b) you, much like your Daddy are laid-back. Like any new Mommy, I read about developmental milestones, the projected timetables, and watched your constantly for signs of the first smile, you rolling over, sitting up. Each time it would seem that you were taking forever to reach the next milestone, and then over night you’d be doing it. And when I would get so excited at your new accomplishment, you’d flash me a look as if to say “Mama, chill out. I got this growing up thing covered.” Prior to your arrival, I had prepared myself for brining home a screaming, crying, colicky infant. Instead, your Daddy and I brought home a baby who slept for nearly 4 hours a stretch, started sleeping thru the night at 2 months old, and transitioned to her own crib at 6 months. You never seem to meet a stranger, freely giving smiles to new people, and rarely do you get upset – unless we are slow to feed you or tell you “No.”

DSC_0315

Joycie – you are dynamic and full of life – showing no fear at taking on new challenges, rather that’s a new daycare or learning to walk. Each night you fall asleep with a smile, and wake up with the same. You are utterly content in who you are – and that has been a constant lesson that you have taught me……to be at peace with who I am, where I am, and to simply enjoy the moment.

I suppose like any other letter to you, I should include your stats:

- You are wearing size 18 months clothing, size 3 diapers.

-You weigh 21 pounds, and seem to be growing an inch every day. I do not have an accurate length measurement, because you never stay still long enough.

- You are a busy little girl, who loves to toddle around the house, or run if you have your push toy from Nana and Papa.

- You have come to discover a new found appreciation for the outdoors. You especially like riding on the tractor with Daddy and swinging on the porch swing with Mama.

- You vocabulary is still growing, with Mama, Dadda, and bye-bye being your most frequent used words.

- With your two teeth, you are managing to transition to nearly all table food, and really like spaghetti, yogurt, and eggs. You still dislike peas (and I can’t say that I blame you).

DSC_0281

The last 365 days have been an adventure, Joycelen, full of twists, turns, bumps, a few bruises, the occasional bought of tears (yours and mine), lots of hugs, and big wet kisses. I have loved every single minute of it…..and look forward to seeing what the next year has in store for us.

I love you baby!

~Mama

3 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Happy Birthday Joycie!! My oh my...how time flies!

Maria said...

Happy Birthday, Joycie! And congratulations Kim and Mikey for making it through the first year :) On to year two...

Unknown said...

What a sweet letter! Happy Birthday Joycie! I hope you are as happy through your second year as you were through your first!!