March 25, 2013

Joycie's 3rd Birthday: A Pirate and Princess Adventure


Joycie is in LOVE with princesses so it was no surprise that she wanted princesses to be the center of her birthday theme.  However, I was caught a bit off guard when she informed me that she also wanted pirates at her party.  Thankfully, a quick Google search gave me plenty of creative suggestions and ideas for how to merge the two together for a cute, fun-filled party.

When the guests arrived, they were encouraged to get into costumes.  I had purchased several prom gowns from our local Goodwill, added in Joycie's dress-up collections, and turned old men's dress shirts into pirate garb.  Mikey's Aunt in Texas sewed princess crowns and pirate eye patches (which doubled as party favors) for the kids to wear.  Lastly, I had a few of our youth girls on hand to put make-up on the princesses and add narly breads and nasty scars (eyeliner) to our pirates.

Once the guests arrived, we turned our attention to playing games.  First, we played freeze dance - I told each of the kids to imagine that they were dancing at Cinderella's ball.  I would move throughout them and if I tapped them with my royal scepter they had to freeze in a silly pose.  There were lots of giggles and some curious dancing during the game.  We even had a few adults to join in.   Next up, was a princess version of Simon Says - "The Queen Says".  The kids had to follow the Queen's commands:  dance at the ball, wave at your loyal subjects, talk like a pirate, dream of Prince charming, blow kisses - but only if the Queen said so.   The third game was pin the crown on the princess which was basically like pin the tail on the donkey.  The last game was the biggest hit.  Mikey dressed up like a pirate who had stolen the treasure (i.e. the candy) the kids were instructed to chase him around the room and poke him with a foam sword. Each successful poke resulted in candy flying out of the treasure chest and into the kids' goodie bags.


For the food, we went with Joycie's favorite foods - cheese pizza, chips, and pink cupcakes.



My mother-in-law who is the baker in the family - made individual cupcakes for each guest and 1 large cupcake for Joycie.  The cupcakes were in cupcake papers that fit the theme.

The party was a huge success!  The kids laughed and played, parents told me that they loved the theme, and my little princess was completely wore out at day's end.

1 comment:

Amy Jo said...

I'm so glad you commented on my post...
Long story short, I lost my computer to an early death by a virus and didn't have the link to your blog.
I have nearly a year of catching up to do. I will be busy reading your posts for the next few days to catch up :)
On another note...I can't believe Jocelyn is 3 years old! My how time flies.