July 16, 2009

Morning Sickenss.. Uh Afternoon Sickness...

Up until yesterday I had not experienced the joy that is "morning sickness" - a common occurrence for pregnant women. In the week and a half since discovering I was pregnant, I have repeatedly been asked if I had experienced morning sickness. And when I answered in the negative, I was regaled with each women's horror story of their morning/afternoon/all day sickness.

I hoped, prayed, and hoped some more that I would by pass this part of pregnancy. But yesterday afternoon it hit. My stomach started rolling and I felt as though I was going to be violently ill. I nibbled on salty crackers and remained still and the feeling subsided after a few hours. But it hit again this morning - and it hasn't gone away since. My diet today has consisted of Gatorade (sipped in tiny sips), saltine crackers, plain mashed potatoes, and crushed ice (lots and lots of crushed ice). At the moment the feeling has subsided but I am not certain it will remain that way.

Any of you readers have tips/tricks for dealing with this situation?

4 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Congratulations! I'm just catching up on all the good news.

Remember back on June 30 when you posted that someone at church asked if you were pregnant because of what you were wearing??? Well, technically you were!

Amy @ LiveWell said...

I stumbled on your blog, so forgive me for being forward and commenting when you don't even know me!

I've done the morning sickness a few times, and what helped me was getting lots of sleep the night before (at least 8 hours straight) and eating toast as soon as my eyes opened. Of course, this took the help of my hubby...

It does subside -- hopefully soon!

Kari said...

Oh no, hope that it subsides soon.

I don't have any morning sickness tips, but ginger is supposed to be awesome for an upset stomach.

Ginger ale and saltines are my personal favorites.

Kathie Brinkman said...

I kept saltines with me all the time but I didn't have morning sickness too bad. Just be sure to do what your body tells you to do--take a nap or just rest when you need it. Peppermint herbal tea is also good for upset tummies.