July 01, 2009

Try This Tuesday

For several weeks now I have been promising my readers that M and I would be trying various receipes on Tuesday's and posting pics and our thoughts. And each week, I find myself apologizing and offerring explainations as why it just did not happen. I hate that I am letting my readers down but with both of us working 10-12 hours a day and then volunteering at our church afterwards, we are just too tired to cook. I thought about postponing in TTRT until things settled down, but decided against it. Instead, I am going to search out the best receipes from the blogging world - things that I want to prepare, share the receipes here, and then ask my readers to try them out. Sound like a plan?

The first receipe is for Sweet and Tangy Meatballs and comes from Annie Jones at Real Life Living

Sweet and Tangy Meatballs

1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs (yes, graham cracker crumbs)
1 teaspoon smoke-flavored salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons dehydrated minced onion
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups ketchup
2 cups ginger ale
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (the kind from a jar) (adjust to suit your taste)

Heat oven to 450°F.

Combine egg, milk, graham cracker crumbs, salt, pepper and dehydrated onion. Crumble ground beef over egg mixture, then mix well using a wooden spoon or your hands.

Form into meatballs of desired size. (Annie used a small ice cream scoop and was able to make 50.) Place meatballs in glass or metal baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.

Combine ketchup, ginger ale and garlic.

Transfer meatballs to Crock Pot. Pour ketchup mixture over all. Cook on High for about 3 hours. If desired, thicken sauce by adding 1 T. cornstarch combined with a little cold water, then letting sauce continue to cook for about 30 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce over hot cooked rice.

Makes 6-8 servings.

1 comment:

healthy ashley said...

I'm a vegetarian, but these meatballs look great! I love the graham cracker addition :) I bet I could make them with fake meat and they'd still be good!