July 07, 2009

You + Me = 3

For the past few weeks, I have been having a myriad of "weird" symptoms. It began with me feeling extremely tired ALL the time. I am not talking about the - 'I didn't sleep well last night' but rather 'I am bone achingly weary' kinda tired. Then I started having these weird cramping pains at various hours of the day/night. I thought that the tiredness was due to my battling a severe sinus infection. The cramps were attributed to my impending visit from my monthly visitor. But nothing ever happned. 1 day, 2 day, 3 days passed and no visitor. Then I started getting a bit sick feeling in the middle of the afternoon. I thought it could be because of the antibotics that I was taking to combat the sinus infection. But the antibotics ran out and the afternoon sick feeling didn't go away. I discussed all of this with my SIL and she advised that I should take a home pregnancy test to rule out the possiblity, since my symptoms mirrored her own when she was pregnant.

At first, I refused - no way I was pregnant. But after driving M crazy for a week, he and I decided to take the test. So on July 4th, we purchased the home pregnancy test at our local Rite -Aid. We came home, I went into the bathroom and diligently read the instructions. I followed them to the letter....placed the test on the counter and prepared to wait the 3 minutes needed to find out the results. Except it only took 30 seconds for the test to show the word "Pregnant"......

In that second moment it felt as though the world slipped out from underneath me. I somehow managed to sit down on the floor of the bathroom, while M knelt in front of me. All I could do was cry and say "I am pregnant."

Later that afternoon, M and I attended a family cookout where the news was told to immediate family and a few close friends. We advised them not to get too happy as the test could be wrong. On Monday, I had an ultrasound at the hospital which showed my aminotic sac - there was no denying it then. I am pregnant. This was triply confirmed by another pregnancy test at my OB/GYN's office later that afternoon.

So there's the synopisis of how I found out that we were going from a family of 2 to a family of 3.


NavyBride said...

Oh goodness, Kim, congratulations!

Pro Deo et Patria said...

Congratulations. The train just left the station in the most thrilling, terrifying, rewarding roller coaster ride of your life. People often asked me how I felt in the early days. I've given the same answer for a year now, "excited and terrified at the same time". Just wait until you hear your baby's heartbeat for the first time.

In reply to your comment on our corner of the world; you will be inundated with advice. I found this was the hardest part of the whole thing (the man has it easy) - separating the good stuff from the whack jobs. We join so many more as sounding boards and encouragers to cheer you on. Congratulations to you both! :-)

Kari said...

Wow, congratulations!