April 15, 2009

Early to Bed, Early to Rise

I have never been a morning person. As a child, I had my morning routine down to just 5 minutes, so that I could stay in the warmth of my bed for as long as possible. Once I grew up and went off to college, I arranged my class schedule so that I didn’t have to be awake before 10 a.m. My roommates quickly learned that if I had to be up early it was to their advantage not to talk to me for at least 15 minutes – otherwise they might see “Devil Kim” as I snapped, snarled, and grumbled my way thru the morning.

I explained all of this to M before we said our vows. But I do not think he fully appreciated my explanations until those first few mornings together – where he asked me where his belt was, and I went off on him. I felt horrible afterwards and apologized profusely. But the damage was done, M now does his very best not to wake me when he is getting ready for work (he has to be up 1 to 2 hours before I do).

I have come to realize that I have to get better at being a morning person. Sleeping in till 7:20 – then getting ready for work in 10 minutes is not good. Snarling, snarking, and snapping my way thru the morning is not pleasant for myself or those unfortunate enough to be in my path. Therefore, the last two nights M and I have been in bed by 10:15 and it has done wonders for my disposition.

In fact, I have woken up at 7:00 a.m. both mornings, been in the office by 7:30 and find that I have a much more pleasant outlook (and more energy).

Granted, I find it slightly said that at 26 I am going to bed at 10 o’clock. It was just 2 or 3 years ago when my night got started at that time. But I know that overall the early bed time is better for my health, my sanity, and my marriage.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I know what you mean. I'm looking at being in bed at 8 or 9 o'clock, and rejoiciing...all at the ripe old age of 27. :-)