April 19, 2009

Life on the Farm

When I was younger, I vowed that I would never move back to my hometown - but I did. I also vowed I would never date any guy from my hometown - but I did.....then I married him. And the biggest kicker to it all, is that the man of my dreams is a farmer. Granted, M has a daytime job as a project manager for a commerical contractor, but his free-time (and true passion) is working the Blueberry Farm that he co-owns with his younger brother and father.

I never imagined that I - lover of all things big city, and detester of all things small town/rural/agriculture related - would end up married to a "farmer" - but I am. Even more surprising is that fact that I am beginning to love living out in the country and being a part of farm life. In fact, I find myself longing to learn more about this thing that M loves so much....so I took a few lessons this weekend.

Lesson 1: All farmers/farmer's wives need good boots. The farm is often home to mud, muck, mire, and hosts of other not so pleasant things. And the last thing you want to do is get your nice shoes all dirtied by stepping in them. So M (with my prodding...okay pleading) decided I needed a pair of boots. After shopping both store in our town, I came home with a pair of pull on Georgia boots, youth size 6 - apparently the boots I want aren't made for ladies, so I had to buy a boy's pair.

Lesson 2: All boots have to be broken in - and that might mean blisters along the way. I wore the boots for most of the morning on Saturday, and have a nice blister on my ankle to show for the troubles. But one band-aid later, the ankle feels fine and the boots are already feeling better.

Lesson 3: If you don't know how to operate a tractor....take it slowly. M started teaching me how to drive the tractor on Saturday. By driving, I mean he allowed me to pull it a mere 5 feet across the yard, in the slowest speed possible, while he gave step by step instructions. But I didn't mind, I fear the tractor - or perhaps I am aware of its power and the destruction it could cause if it went awry, so I am happy to take things slowly.

I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn about farm life.....but I think I make a good student. And I know I have a great teacher.

2 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

This is part of that mixing you together that married life is supposed to work on. Congrats on being open to participating in your husband's passion for farming. That affirms him and will enable you to grow and understand him in new ways. Who knows where this will lead?

sueh said...

My sister Kathie B and I were both raised in San Diego, CA, true city girls and beach lovers. We both married fellows that were raised on farms in Wisconsin and Michigan. My husband works as an electrical engineer but his passion is farming. Thus we have an organic crop farm that we operate. I have learned to drive tractors and the combine...made a lot of mistakes along the way, but I know he appreciates that I try to help. We have lots of funny stories about our adventures on the farm. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I enjoy driving the farm equipment so much because it is so different from my day job of spreadsheets and meetings. It is so gratifying to see the little plants come out of the ground from the seeds that you planted and watch them all summer until harvest time. Enjoy your farm and good luck with the tractors!!